Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Rebates...Friend or Foe???


Let's just say there are many different opinions out there about REBATES!  My father always told me that rebates were a rip off, that the company got your money earned interest on it and then if you followed all their crazy rules they may or may not send you some money back. For a long time I followed that advice to the T. But after seeing some of my couponing friends do rebates, I thought that if I am careful about what rebates I am going to do and read all the requirements carefully I may be able to successfully rebate!!  I do not participate in every rebate I see or hear about.  Many of the rebates I use are at the grocery store or drug store.  

Recently I participated in one I wanted to share with you.  One of the coupons I had cut out was for Perdue short cuts....75 off of one which would double at Safeway or Giant.  It also included a "try me free rebate".  The rebate rules were to buy a Perdue short cuts, fill out the information required, and include the UPC from the box and original receipt by the dates given.  The information asked things like how much was the product and for your address.  They send the rebate check for the amount of the short cuts minus the .75 off coupon.

I was not sure that I would participate in this rebate until I found an awesome deal I could not resist.  Perdue short cuts are not inexpensive...but they are tasty and convenient.  Safeway was having a BOGO sale on their Perdue products including Perdue short cuts!!  I thought wow with the doubling of my coupon, the BOGO sale and the "try me free" rebate, I would have to try it!  I bought two packages of the short cuts for  $5.99 or $3 a pack.  At the register, I got $1.50 off for my coupon.  Now I was paying $4.49 for two packages or $2.25 a package.  After we used our first box of short cuts, did I mention their convenience, I cut out the UPC and sent it in with my receipt and rebate form.  On the form it only subtracts .75 from the total price of 1 package.  I was going to get $5.24 back!  Basically by being patient, I was able to make some money on TWO packages!! 

Just in case you were wondering if rebates really do work....I got my Perdue check in the mail today!



Putting all that together I paid $4.49 for two packages and received a rebate of $5.25...a money maker of .76 .

What are your opinions on rebates?  Have you tried them?  

Kat

No comments: